Friday, January 23, 2009

Last day in my office as a bachelor

Today is Friday, 23rd of January…the date deserve a mention because this is my last day in office as a bachelor. When I will return back to my cubicle after 3 weeks, things wouldn’t be the same. The people around me may be same but the expressions on their faces, after they see me, wouldn’t be the same.

Much before the present, I had been reminded about the D-day by all sorts of people (friends, relatives, colleagues, known and some unknowns too...!) apart from my dear wife. Usually this is accompanied with a taunting smile that reflects the message that, "get over with your fun days and start preparing to face your bounded destiny". Some people even tease with a consoling way like, "So finally the day is arrived…'try' to enjoy it to the maximum, and be a better husband in future". It shows the experience (mostly sad) that these guys must have got through their marriages.

As I reached the office on time and started with my daily chores, my brain was already pre-occupied with making check-list of what needs to be done today… what all things need to be packed…when to leave the office for airport…what should not be left behind…etc. But apart from this, today (actually many days) I feel like being surrounded with air of insecurity. Seems like many questions and queries are flooding my mind in a haphazard way. I know that the next seven days would not leave me introspect about these and finally I would be able to sail through the D-day without even realizing about the same, but still it’s very strange. I hope this is very normal with ‘To-Be-Married-in-a-week’ kind of people. This realization of changing my phase of life from a mere bachelor to married man sends turbulence to my stomach.

A subdued customary guy working 9.15 hours a day in office, often thinking every second how to utilize myself with any work for the day…satisfying his appetite by cooking snacks-cum-food and finding good taste in the weekly experiments with the resources available in kitchen…spending most of the time with his only acquaintances i.e. books, novels and sometime television…roaming in the streets or malls with his backpack filled with bike registration papers, a mp3 player and a goggle and shopping very specifically according to the needs…working really very hard to flex his muscles, try to deflate his anomalous tummy by exercising day and night and by the end of the day cursing his limited stamina…drinking a full bottle of Kingfisher beer along with a packet of ‘Kurkure’, singing a song from movie ‘Zinda’ in a dismal tone, limping on the floor intentionally to get ‘a feel’, cooking all-time favorite bachelor cuisine ‘Maggi’ at midnight and counting stars near the fan on the roof after the light is switched off…staring the cell phone screen and expecting the calls from close ones or recruitment agencies…passing through a wine shop, remembering the days of happiness and sorrows spend with very close friends (liquor is genius, I must admit..!!) …sitting lonely on a tattered bench kept in the jogging park, sipping a pricey juice and watching the couples holding their hands and making full use of the isolated park, some college students impressing their uninteresting girl friends, elderly people seriously walking in the park for which it is actually made for, some ill-shaped ladies sweating their way and trying to shed their extra pounds in just one day, some businessmen talking loudly over their earphones while jogging…

Every day seems to be well scheduled in advance and the events flow automatically like a flow chart. I really feel pity for my wife; if she had seen this blog earlier, she wouldn’t have dared to marry me (coupled with dull well-programmed life) at first instance…!!

Few weeks from now, everything is going to be revamped. The situations may be the same but the behavior will be different all-together. The issue is not that these things were good or bad or something that should be avoided in future, instead the concern is how will I react to these situations after I get married…will I miss them or feel happy that I have other important priorities than these. This is really interesting to think but the advice is not to spend the brain power for this. I wouldn’t say that loneliness is the best part of my life, but certainly I would be missing it but for my better future. Now I came to know why people say about this phase as difficult to pass. Normally we guys tend to form a circle of privacy around us and are used to get emotionally attached to this forever and thus we feel uncomfortable when intruded by someone else. I can understand that this feeling is much more serious and prominent in girls (but unfortunately this blog is supposed to be biased towards men).

It’s good that I have enough memories of my past that could be cherished after I step in another phase of my life. How will I handle that, the question can be remained unscathed for now. Not only this, I have many more concerns as the day approaches near, but couldn’t reflect each one of them in words now. I will try to find the answers sometime in future…

1 comments:

Indolent Doodle said...

Defintely life will change, but what is life without change! But it is an absolutely wonderful experience, and when you have someone lik Divya by your side, it could be nothing but great!

have a great married life - Archana

Post a Comment