Monday, January 12, 2009

The 'Bench'

As I had promised in my earlier post, ‘Bench’ holds a great relevance in life of every person associated with IT industry. This concept is very similar to the name it holds…imagine yourself sitting on a lonely bench and waiting for an opportunity to knock your door before you get up and plunge upon it…imagine yourself sitting on the bench and staring at the person standing in front of you, consoling and charging you up for the hurdles and challenges planned to come in the future…imagine yourself sitting on the bench and being offered with some sweet dreams, while the nails protruding out from the corners of the bench hurt you like reminding you of your position in the company…slowly and gradually the legs of the bench will become fragile and you will be forced to collapse under your own weight being felt by the bench…

Ahh…what an imagination..!! But actually this is all about your period on bench while on company’s payroll. I must admit I was one of the very few lucky people from our batch in Infosys who got the project on the very first day after our training (all credit goes to my hard earned prior work experience and of course "demand by luck"). At that time I could just feel the pity for my batch mates and wished everyone could have got the chance at once. After 1 year of my presence in Infosys (presence + appropriate work= value addition), I got the opportunity to sit with these guys on bench. It was like as if I had been summoned by judicial court for being taken into remand for indefinite period. The world seems to be on hold for some time. I was sitting at my original cubicle (even now I had occupied the same place) and could see all the people working, discussing and engrossed in delivering some solutions or whatever. Atleast they could hold up their personal phone calls by saying that they are busy in some work. And here I was sitting blank on my seat and staring at my computer screen waiting for any mails or trying to melt it with vibrations reflecting from its screen. It was not boring, but indeed irritating. I was reporting to a person who could hardly find the time to talk to me for a minute. During these days, he had obliged me by offering a project that would need to postpone my marriage…!!! I gracefully rejected that and even for that I was cursed by him like I had done something very wrong in my life. Slowly and gradually people sitting around me started neglecting me in their discussions or rather found me as insignificant. Gradually my motivation to work for the company started receding away. I started getting offers to work for some futile presentations that can keep me charged up…but still no success.

I had been on bench for around a month officially (actually 3 months of sitting idle), and you can easily call me as impatient…but I am not the guy that can sit idle for more than a day. This is the age when one can experiment with himself, when one can stretch himself to maximum extent. This is the age when one can deliver the results according to potential. Its not that companies didn’t try anything to make this period productive. Unfortunately it has not been able to recognize the potential hidden in bench. This is not the story of just one person. Normally companies maintain a ratio of people bench for their clients. So for company with population in lakhs, this can mount to thousands sitting idle.

And this is the situation where I feel like being struck..!!!!
This is how one feel like when sitting on a bench..!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment