Sunday, April 17, 2011

A long journey to remember…the final

My last day at Infosys


As I enclosed myself within my 3 and a half walled cubicle and started drafting good-bye mails, I felt a bit low. There were many to whom I thought to get in touch with. There were many good managers and colleagues that I had interaction with and few of my friends and batch mates in the campus. But despite of them, I felt all alone. I used to accompany my friends towards food courts before, but for now I am all by myself. Most of my friends had either been transferred to another office or onsite or had left Infosys. Few guys that I interact with are no more than colleagues. Right from the start of my career with Infosys, I was deputed to projects that had smallest team (apart from Oracle Hyderabad project) that gave me less chance to hang around. There were very few with whom I could share my resonance, but they are not employed in Infosys anymore. As a professional I can say I had done my best, but on the personality front I would say I need to struggle more. I am looking forward to a good social network in Mumbai, the place where there is no space for isolation, I think so.


I have never complained about it but I always felt that my beliefs and my potential were always ahead of what I have in possession now. And that made me firm to quit a well-established job and run for a marathon. I know I would have to struggle a lot in a real metropolitan Mumbai, but that is the actual reality. This is the age to get out of comfort zone and feel the heat that will make you strong and more robust.


I would be missing the ornamental pathways, the luxurious guest house, odd architectural buildings, long queue at food court, people running desperately for spoons, table and chairs in food court, policy to spend atleast 9.15 hours in office irrespective of your work nature, bulletin board where you can sell or buy anything ranging from a needle to private aircraft or discuss any damn topic like cockroach in food or questioning the gender of a lizard, my last cubicle (4 places till now) where I could sleep whenever I wanted without being disturbed, multi-level-car-parking where I could never got a chance to park my car below 7th floor, endless mails asking for free laptop so that the guy can travel onsite, my desktop in which all networking sites are blocked along with USB/CD/DVD and sound drives, coffee machines that are 45% of the time running out of milk or steam, gym where atleast 2 people wait for their turn to arrive at each treadmill, performance appraisal in which almost 40% of the section doesn’t belong to you and even if you had filled that it doesn’t matter during actual discussion, dress code that makes you daily check the day of week, celebrity shows for which the amphitheater gets filled up much before than expected etc etc.


Sounds cynical?? Not really. If I had spelled these deficiencies in front of HR during my exit interview I would have expected the same reply every time, “Infosys is such a big company that these policies are made to control over 1 lakh employees”. I know they are right, actually helpless. Actually these issues/observations are felt by those who have good spare time that is destined to be wasted. I have never heard of these observations from a person at managerial level (except few exceptions), because he must be too busy for these petty issues. Infosys has good policies to keep the idle or new employees engaged in activities, but there is a need to pay attention to these ‘busy managers’ who form the valuable chunk of the population.


Anyways, my stay at Infosys was good. But I have to quit to explore the world outside, to become a good manager, a nice human being and a better professional. In the end I would again like to thank Infosys for providing a robust start to my career and made me think beyond my horizons. I would never forget the charm and hospitality of this organization. We’ll meet again if destiny allows…


Signing off,


Employee ID: 83965

0 comments:

Post a Comment