Sunday, April 17, 2011

A long journey to remember…part 1

4th June, 2007

As I entered a big conference hall I saw a tall man with fair complexion standing over the podium and speaking with utmost enthusiasm. There were around 60 odd people spread across the entire room listening to this man with curiosity. The man was Mr. Narsimha Rao profoundly called as ‘Narry’, and he was present in the hall for welcoming us and introducing us to our new employment. Can’t imagine I have completed almost 4 wonderful years in Infosys. I would be leaving Infosys on 15th April, 2011 to join my new employer in Mumbai. These 4 years have been full of opportunities-fair and unfair, and I had my share of memories with this organization. Although the four years that I had spent with Infosys are not comparable with two years that I had spent with Chambal Fertilizers or two years in IIT, but still four years is a big time to gather the moments to be penned down one fine day.

Infosys hangover

I must say to be a part of Infosys family wasn’t easy enough. In the winters of 2006, during our placement sessions in IIT, it took me great pains to convince the Infosys panel that I had all the capabilities that they are looking for in this campus. After grilling and rejecting 4 candidates, the panel finally selected me and 3 more candidates. I being from manufacturing and supply chain background had this hangover of ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) that finally took me to the ERP consultancy in Infosys. Right from the initial I had my priorities set and wanted to get associated with Supply Chain ERP modules, and so I got it. It was rare but perfect to get your priorities meet accomplishment at an early stage.

Examinations never end..!!

Even after clearing toughest of toughest semester exams in IIT, I found it tough to cope up with Infosys internal certifications. I couldn’t even believe that an organization could have a separate big institution within itself and we are required to pass through that with good CGPA..!!! Come on, how can your employment depend upon your consolidated CGPA that you score in internal examinations. Infact, it was announced that the project allocations might get dependent on these scores..!!! And on top of it, I failed the very first certification with valor. Anyways, at the end of 2 months training at Infosys, I secured the lowest position in my group as per my CGPA. Still I couldn’t digest the fact that CGPA means a lot for your professional career, and then, my thinking was proved right. I was the first person to get on-board a project out of my entire batch. Got my lesson there: These internal certifications are meant for enhancement of your knowledge, but not your career progression. These might be scary but I never took them seriously.

My first manager

My first project was with a European client that dealt with manufacturing of pneumatic valves. I haven’t heard about this company before. I was introduced to this guy, a short, agile and a true Bengali. He was my offshore project manager. He was too quick, active and sharp in his actions. He always speaks to-the-point and because of that I couldn’t dare to speak a word during my appraisal interviews. I had always felt that I got a wrong manager at first, but in 2008 he was the only guy who gave me an opportunity to travel onsite. My perception towards him got changed since then. Infact he was a good organizer and too knowledgeable. Now-a-days he is considered to be most valuable employee in the group.

My first onsite travel

Forget about Europe, I had never stepped out of Indian soil, not even Nepal..!!! The decision about sending me to onsite came as a shock rather than a surprise. I was required to travel to Netherlands in two weeks time during which I had to arrange for my visa documents, travel to Bangalore for some training and more importantly, travel to Jaipur to meet a girl (she is known as my wife now). Holland was an extraordinary place and it took my breath away at first sight. However my interaction with the client was gruesome. I felt like an inexpert in front of them. My brain was split between the beauty of Holland and torment at client’s space. But again, there was my second project manager who saved me every time I shook a bit. He has all the qualities that are adorable.

New inspirations

By this time I had completed almost 2 years with this organization. My onsite assignment infused a sense of confidence in me. I had realized that I had the potential to do much more than what I had been doing. Consulting is a vast industry and Infosys being most populous of them all. The big problem with this company or industry is that there are many employees like you to fill up your position. In order to stand ahead of them, you need to shout and fight, not literally though. I had started pursuing APICS certification that brought me to the realization that I was not exactly pursuing supply chain as I had planned to do. I took many trainings and internal certifications to make myself compatible with any kind of onsite projects. Unfortunately that was the time when the company was going low. The period was in recession. There weren’t many clients and the projects. The onsite employees were either asked to leave or return to India. The situation was scary and I preferred to keep my mouth shut for sometime.

0 comments:

Post a Comment